Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Back on 2010 and Ahead to 2011

In retrospective, 2010 has been one of the best years professionally for myself and thusly, Cinnabar Hills. The amount of projects were able to complete was outstanding considering everything was done in-house. We were able to complete 27 bunkers, re-level 6 tees and re-sod 2 approaches.

While all those projects were going on, we were still able to provide relatively consistent playing conditions throughout the year. In years past admittedly, I would tend to over-focus on a project and lose sight of the course for 3 or 4 days. Now, with the right systems in place and having great people who know what I want, we can provide an even better product.

Educationally speaking, 2010 was one of largest gains for myself. I had the opportunity to go to Farmlinks Golf Course in Alabama where we learned an incredible amount of information on fertilizers. While you would think being a superintendent, you'd already have a grasp on fertilizer, but with technologies and conventional thinking changing so fast there is always something new to learn.

I also nailed fairy ring in our greens this year. While it may only be one year, I was able to apply something I learned in the winter of 2009 to the golf course with 100% control. Even the most veteran Superintendents rarely can say that.

Putting 2010 in the books and looking ahead to 2011; I have a great feeling of excitement. We have planned to re-construct 24 bunkers, 8 tees, and one approach. I also have some great educational opportunities scheduled in which I look forward to bringing back any knowledge that can improve Cinnabar.

I and the rest of the staff at Cinnabar Hills Golf Club hope your year has been well and that we can help make 2011 a little bit more fun for you and your families. Until next year...